Those of you who regularly follow this blog know that every post in May 2014 was dedicated to the idea of how non-profit organizations build loyalty among various stakeholder groups (e.g. donors, board members, staff, volunteers, clients, etc). All of those posts culminated yesterday when DonorDreams blog hosted this month’s Nonprofit Blog Carnival. The theme for the carnival was “Letting the Nonprofit Sector Go to the Dogs.”
This morning I realized that the month of May isn’t over yet and found myself faced with the following decisions while plodding away on the treadmill:
- Skip today’s post and let readers continue feasting on a ton of content left over from yesterday’s Nonprofit Blog Carnival
- Write one more post on loyalty
- Pretend that it is June and push forward with new topics
While it was tempting to skip a day, I ultimately decided to stay the course with one more post about building loyalty.
Instead of pontificating on the subject, it dawned on me that in all of my reading on the subject of loyalty there are always beefy bibliography sections and references. So, I decided to toss a bone to those of you who are thirsty for more reading on this subject by publishing some of the more interesting written and online references and tools (in a few cases the reources are books and the link points you to amazon.com).
Enjoy the reading!
- The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Growth by Frederick Reichheld
- Loyalty Rules! How Today’s Leaders Build Lasting Relationships by Frederick Reichheld
- “Dimensions of brand personality” by Jennifer L Aaker in the Journal of Marketing Research; Aug 1997
- “Why Do People Give? An Empirical Study on the Motives and Characteristics behind Individual Charitable Giving in England” by Loy Hui Sheng, Sylvester at the Department of Economics, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
- “The Use of Pledges to Build and Sustain Commitment in Distribution Channels” by Erin Anderson and Barton Weitz in the Journal of Marketing Research; Feb 1992
- “Donor Retention: What Do We Know & What Can We Do about It?” by Adrian Sargeant in the Nonprofit Quarterly; August 15, 2013
- “What do donations buy? A model of philanthropy based on prestige and warm glow” by William Harbaugh in the Journal of Public Economics, May 1997
- “Managing donor defection: Why should donors stop giving?” by Adrian Sargeant in New Directions for Philanthropic Fundraising, Summer 2001
- “Ten Steps to Fundraising Success: Choosing the Right Strategy for Your Organization” by Mal Warwick and Stephen Hitchcock
- “Retaining donors with mission-driven stewardship events” by Shanon Doolittle in association with the Donor Retention Project
Have you read something recently on the subject of building loyalty hat your fellow non-profit peers might benefit from reading? If so, please use the comment box below to share that resource and point us in the right direction.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this month’s focus on building loyalty including the big build up to the May 2014 Nonprofit Blog Carnival.
Here’s to your health!
Founder & President, The Healthy Non-Profit LLC